I love nothing more than my grandmother’s cooking. My uncle loves her pelmeni, my mom loves her potato pirozhki and i love her meat pirozhki.
A week before I visit her I always ask “Babulia, did you start to prepare for my visit? I hope you already started making pirozhki!”
We all have our priorities.
Below is the recipe for my grandmother’s Meat Pirozhki.
30 grams of yeast
1/2 liters of milk
800 grams of flour
1-2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
1 pound of Ground Beef ( I add 1/4pound of ground pork for taste)
1 large onion
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 a stick of butter ( makes the filling juicy)
1. Test the yeast by adding a 1/4 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix the yeast, water and sugar in a cup and wait 5-10 min. If it rises and bubbles its good to go.
2. Boil some water in a pot. Put 1/2 litters of milk in container that can be placed within that pot so it warms up just slightly. Cannot be hot. Leave for 1-3 minutes.
3. Mix warm milk, the yeast mix, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of salt together in a large container.
4. Begin adding the flour and mixing with a spoon. Please note that the flour has to be added little by little until the dough gets thick.
5. Add the sunflower oil and at this point mix it with your hand.
( I have to point out that you have to do it lovingly. Sounds like a old wives’ tale but i have experienced this. The dough really does feel your emotions. So if you are in rush or angry then well the dough may really suck. But put some thought and some love into it and it will rise nicely)
6. After the dough is nicely mixed, pat the top to flatten it and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of flour on top.
7. Using the same concept as with the warm milk, place the dough container in to a larger container thats filled with warm water. Cover the dough container.
8. Wait for about 1-2 hours and when the dough rises for the first time push it back down gently. Wait until it rises again and its ready to be used.
1. Finely chop the onion.
2. Warm up the skillet and add the butter.
3. Add the meat and cook for 10 min. Add the chopped onion, salt and the pepper.
4. Continue cooking until the there is no pink left in the meat so about another 15 minutes.
5. Let it cool.
Can be made a day in advance.
beautiful-foods bonappetit food52 foodrecipeshq